Cognitex ® with Pregnenolone & Brain Shield ®
Some degree of cognitive decline is a given as you get older. That’s because levels of neurotransmitters and other brain compounds diminish with age. And that can impact what you understand, process, and remember. But with the proper nutrients, you can take steps now to support youthful cognition and memory. Cognitex ® with Pregnenolone & Brain Shield ® contains all of these brain-boosting ingredients in one advanced formula.
Benefits at a Glance
- Comprehensive Support of Youthful Cognition and Memory
- Contains 11 brain-boosting ingredients in one advanced formula
- Supports the brain’s normal defenses and regenerative mechanisms
- Comprehensive Support for Over 100 Billion Brain Cells
Within 15 years an astounding 71 million aging individuals will be at risk for cognitive problems. Fortunately, new research indicates that some of the factors behind this alarming trend may lie within your control. The key is to maintain a steady supply of special nutrients clinically shown to support brain health as you age.
A healthy adult brain has about 100 billion nerve cells. Each cell requires specific dietary support for optimum performance. But most aging individuals unwittingly starve their brains of these critical nutrients with a heart-healthy diet deficient in eggs, red meat and cheeses, the very foods that contain these vital brain-boosting nutrients.
Life Extension’s Cognitex ® with Pregnenolone & Brain Shield ® is a comprehensive formula containing 11 brain-boosting nutrients that you’re probably not getting from your diet. This once-a-day formula provides nutritional support for over 100 billion brain cells. The result is a youthful cognition and memory.
Shield Your Brain with Gastrodin
Your brain is under constant onslaught from environmental and stress-related challenges, as well as normal aging processes. Fortunately, our brain cells have built-in, self-healing systems that provide natural defenses against these ongoing threats.
Even more remarkable, molecular science is revealing that the human brain has the capacity to preserve the ability to remodel brain functions (plasticity), even in the elderly.
Scientists in China and Singapore have found that gastrodin, a compound typically derived from a traditional Chinese orchid (Gastrodia elata), provides powerful support for the brain’s normal defenses and regenerative mechanisms. Recent studies confirm that gastrodin is one of the most powerful compounds for supporting healthy brain function at any age.
Support Acetylcholine with Alpha-GPC
L-alpha glyceryl phosphoryl choline (Alpha-GPC), a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and also converted to phosphatidylcholine after oral ingestion, is naturally present in almost every cell membrane in the body. A decline in acetylcholine levels coincides with advancing age and is a hallmark of neurodegeneration. Cognitex ® with Pregnenolone & Brain Shield ® provides Alpha-GPC as a crucial building block for the production of acetylcholine in the brain. Maintaining healthy acetylcholine function is essential to muscle control, sleep, and cognition.
Vinpocetine Enhances Cerebral Circulation
In an adult, cerebral blood flow is typically 750 milliliters per minute or 15% of the cardiac output. An extract of the periwinkle plant, vinpocetine enhances cerebral metabolism by helping to maintain healthy blood flow and oxygen utilization.
Maintain Mental Focus with Pregnenolone
As a result of normal aging, key hormone levels decline, resulting in a detrimental impact on memory and cognitive function. Scientists believe that the hormone pregnenolone has vast potential for maintaining healthy cognitive function and may be “the most potent memory enhancer yet reported.”
Pregnenolone is the first hormone in the pathway that generates a host of key neurohormones in the brain that are known to affect nerve cell growth and to modulate various moods. Pregnenolone therefore has a dominant effect in a wide range of nervous system functions. This is borne out in research that has demonstrated its ability to maintain sharp focus and improve memory, while also maintaining a balanced mood.
Hops and Rosemary Inhibit Inflammatory Factors
Inflammation is a normal physiological process that is now understood to play a major role in aging. Within the brain, inflammation causes the release of cytokines. Compounds found in hops and rosemary extracts have been shown to help suppress inflammatory cytokines. By inhibiting these inflammatory factors, these two natural plant extracts play an important role in preserving brain cell structure and function.
Enhance Brain Function with Wild Blueberry Extracts
The best-studied aspects of the wild blueberry extracts pertain to its utility as an agent of neurological support. This is great news for everyone — especially the 80 million of us who will be over 65 by 2040 when the US population is expected to peak. Experts agree that unless we find ways to reduce the age-related declines in brain function, health care costs will continue to skyrocket over the coming decades. As it so happens, cutting-edge research indicates that blueberry phytonutrients can attenuate age-related declines in cognitive and motor function. Wild blueberry extract has been shown to inhibit oxidative and inflammatory changes in brain cells believed to be involved in memory decline.
Phosphatidylserine (PS) is required for normal cellular structure and function. Brain tissues are especially rich in phosphatidylserine, but aging causes a decline in the PS content of cells throughout the body.
Research has shown that in addition to improving neural function, PS enhances energy metabolism in all cells, memory, concentration, learning and word choice. In the brain, PS helps maintain cell membrane integrity and brain-cell-to-brain-cell connections.
Additionally, phosphatidylserine helps the brain use its fuel efficiently. By boosting glucose metabolism and stimulating production of acetylcholine, supplemental phosphatidylserine has been shown to improve the condition of patients experiencing age-associated memory impairment or cognitive decline.
Ashwagandha Provides Brain Calming Effects
Research suggests that ashwagandha confers neuroprotection by supporting the regeneration of axons and dendrites, nerve cell components that support brain and nervous system function. Ashwagandha also inhibits an enzyme (acetylcholinesterase) that breaks down acetylcholine in the brain. By preserving acetylcholine, ashwagandha helps to maintain youthful cognition and memory.
Grape Seed Extract Boosts Brain Oxygen Levels
Grape seed extract protects the central nervous system from reactive oxygen species. Grape seed extract improves blood vessel tone and elasticity, thus boosting cerebral oxygen flow.
Optimize Cognitive Function with Uridine-5′-monophosphate
Uridine-5’-monophosphate (UMP) is a compound naturally found in the milk of nursing mothers and is essential to humans when brains are the youngest. Uridine-5’-monophosphate also supports superior cognitive function in aging adults.
- Source. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Source. Accessed August 16, 2013.
- Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009 May;1792(5):432-43.
- Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2013 Mar;15(1):67-76.
- Neurochem Int. 2012 Jun;60(8):827-36.
- Int J Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;3(2):219-41.
- J Pharm Pharmacol. 1997 Nov;49(11):1162-4.
- J Tradit Chin Med. 1997 Dec;17(4):299-303.
- Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2015 Aug;29(4):371-81.
- Neurosci Lett. 2015 May 6;594:40-5.
- Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 Mar;1831(3):523-32.
- Food Chem Toxicol. 2011 Jun;49(6):1303-15.
- Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1994 Jun 30;717:253-69.
- J Int Med Res. 1991 Jul-Aug;19(4):330-41.
- Journal of the neurological sciences. 2011 Jun 15;305(1-2):34-7.
- Current biology 2015 Jun 1;25(11):1461-8.
- Ideggyogy Sz. 2007 Jul 30;60(7-8):301-10.
- Phytomedicine. 2009 Mar;16(2-3):111-7.
- J Psychoactive Drugs. 2011 Jan-Mar;43(1):1-5.
- Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2014 Sep;231(17):3537-56.
- Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1995 Nov 7;92(23):10806-10.
- Molecular pharmacology 2014 Oct;86(4):390-8.
- Psychiatry Res. 2010 Jul 30;178(2):309-12.
- Biol Psychiatry. 2013 Jun 1;73(11):1045-53.
- Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2014 Jun;68(6):432-40.
- J Autism Dev Disord. 2014 Nov;44(11):2971-7.
- Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007 Sep;71(9):2223-32.
- Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2011 Apr 27;59(8):3674-85.
- J Periodontol. 2008 Jan;79(1):174-80.
- J Cell Biochem. 2010 Dec 1;111(5):1270-9.
- Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Jul;54 Suppl 2:S205-13.
- Mol Nutr Food Res. 2009 Sep;53(9):1143-55.
- Ann NY Acad Sci. 2007 Apr;1100:470-85.
- Phosphatidylserine: Number One Brain Booster. New Canaan, CT: Keats Publishing; 1998.
- Sports Med. 2006;36(8):657-69.
- Altern Med Rev. 2008 Jun;13(2):85-115.
- Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1992;42(4):385-8.
- Annu Rev Biophys. 2010 Jun 9;39:407-27.
- Nutrition. 2003 Nov-Dec;19(11-12):957-75.
- Neurobiol Aging. 2001 Jan-Feb;22(1):9-15.
- Exp Neurol. 1985 Jul;89(1):213-24.
- J Neural Transm Suppl. 1987;24:239-45.
- Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2000;37(4):302-7.
- Clin Interv Aging. 2010 Nov 2;5:313-6.
- Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2010;29(5):467-74
- Altern Med Rev. 2008 Sep;13(3):245-7.
- Br J Pharmacol. 2005 Apr;144(7):961-71.
- Eur J Neurosci. 2006 Mar;23(6):1417-26.
- Yakugaku Zasshi. 2008 Aug;128(8):1159-67.
- Int J Dev Neurosci. 2005 Oct;23(6):501-7.
- Metabolism. 2008 Oct;57 Suppl 2:S6-10.
Life Extension – Cognitex ® with Pregnenolone & Brain Shield ®, 90 softgels
Brain decline affects all aging humans. Scientific studies demonstrate more youthful cognition and memory in response to the proper nutrients. Cognitex provides the following brain boosting ingredients in one advanced formula:
- Gastrodin acts as a “brain shield,” calming brain cells and helping to protect against oxidant, inflammatory, and excitatory damage. Gastrodin’s multiple modes of action work together to improve circulation and shield the brain from age-related insults.
- Alpha-glyceryl phosphoryl choline boosts levels of acetylcholine; a neurotransmitter that enables brain cells to communicate. Acetylcholine is intimately involved in memory and learning. Acetylcholine levels markedly decline as humans age past 30.
- Vinpocetine enhances circulation, oxygenation, electrical conductivity of brain cells, and helps support healthy blood flow.
- Pregnenolone is a hormone involved in synchronization of brain cells that declines in normal aging brains.
- Hops and rosemary have all shown to help suppress inflammatory cytokines.
- Wild blueberry extract has been shown to inhibit oxidative and inflammatory changes in brain cells believed to be involved in memory decline.
- The ability of phosphatidylserine (PS) to improve cognitive skills has been extensively studied. Phosphatidylserine exerts significant benefit for cognition, especially those functions that tend to decline with age, including memory, learning, vocabulary skills, and concentration.
- Ashwagandha inhibits an enzyme (acetylcholinesterase) that breaks down acetylcholine in the brain.
- Grape seed extract improves blood vessel tone and elasticity, thus boosting cerebral oxygen flow.
- Uridine-5′-monophosphate (UMP)is a compound naturally found in the milk of nursing mothers and is essential to humans when brains are the youngest. Uridine-5′-monophosphate also supports superior cognitive function in aging adults.